Friday 26 August 2011

Day 4 Llandidliosss to Mufflove and Climaxing

Today was the longest linking stage of the week, and after 3 tough days of climbing I was concerned about it. With 84km nearly 2300m of climbing, it was set to be another day in the pain locker. With a big breakfast on board and clear skies we said goodbye to Llanidloes and made our way onto Machynleth

The first 20km was once more uphill.... I guess what goes up must come down right? Thankfully although it was steep, it was mostly on road and forest track so the miles flew by, and before we knew it we were at the first water stop.

I was still surprised at how fresh my legs were feeling, but not wanting to get caught out I was still prudent with my effort level.

We carried on through sheep tracks, lots of gates which we took in turns on opening/shutting, there was an unknown gate etiquette, how long should you wait? If someone is 50ft away, should you hold it open or leave it for the next group? Everyone knew not to shut it in the face of someone haring down a hill! Some people used it as an excuse to rest their weary legs or stop for a bite to eat.

For the last two days there had been talk about a big dangerous descent on todays ride, it was said to be like riding on ice when it's wet, a sheer 400yard piece of slate which gives way to "the cheese grater" section. It's conversations like this that give me the willies, again if I didnt know about it I"d probably be fine.

A little before this, was a really technical descent, an off camber sheep track with sheer drops to the left, big rocks which jumped out on you trying to throw you down the side of the mountain. Just ahead the track turned into a rocky trail and people were slowing down. I thought this must be "the descent" there was a bottle neck of people and a steeep technical descent which twisted round to the river crossing, people had already dismounted in front of me. It was rideable - as long as you were moving. Now stationary I too got off and pushed the bike down - it was probably harder to walk down. Once over the bridge we had an almighty and very technical push back up. No one was riding it, I'd be surprised if Ajay and Matt Page at the front would have - I'd be interested to now how they rode through a slate vertical gulley.

Once over the top of the hill the trail carried on a little further, and there in front of me was  a "caution" sign... Fuck it, this must be the descent. Except it didnt seem so bad.... there was a clear line down it, OK, so it wasn't easy. People were walking down it, but it looked again harder to be on foot. There was a small waterfall flowing down it and once more the voices of the others "It's like ice when it's wet" in my head. I wasn't going to let the brakes go totally but I didnt strangle them, I tried to keep the wheels moving in a straight line, not letting them lock out.


I looked ahead, I was half way down already, I felt dead proud. A more ballsy rider came flying past me, I caught up with someone walking, he was in my way so I had to put a foot down to get past. Once clear of him, I let the bike roll once more, down the steep slippery potential deathtrap, down a couple of large rocky drop offs, then the descent took a left, and onto the "cheese grater" again the scaremongers had made it seem worse than it is.. maybe it's more about what you're used to riding on? I don't mind riding on rocks, I can sort of see why they called it a cheesegrater, if you came off at speed, you would be pretty short of skin after.


I made it down the cheese grater stage and once more the path took a turn, I took the corner wrong and had to push for a few meters got my wheels back on track and on down the now grassy/rocky descent. I actually found this harder, the damp grass making my wheels skid.

The scottish lady who appeared next to me, got off saying "i've run out of brave" afte r tackling the descent. We both then had to dsimount to get through a rocky river crossing and up a steep bank.

From here, the ride went onto some fast rolling tracks and a few miles of road, into a head wind. The scottish lady and her team mate appeared and the 3 of us chainganged for the next section, giving each other a chance to rest whilst flying through the mileage then onto lunch.

From lunch was a bit of road, some consistent climbing on road and fire road, the Special stage today was quite late in the ride, and was pure descent - Eek! I'd spoken to Phil back home about it and he said it was one of his favourite trails and I'd love it, told me to relax and keep my weight back.

After a  short section of pumpy singletrack, where I tried to get my mind and body back on singletrack style riding, keep my body relaxed and weight moving on the bike. Back onto a short fireroad section and we were at the timed section. A quick banana down the hatch at the food station just before and I went down the chute into the well known Climachx Trail

The trail was amazing! It flowed so well, fast and twisty, pedalling as much as I could on the flatter sections, pumping the forks into and out of deep sections. I was all of a sudden up on my minute man, how is that possible? someone slower and descending than me? Next thing he was off, twisted into a big rock garden with his bike still attached to him. He let me pass, but I had to dismount, and run and push my bike over the tricky technical rock garden. I ran for about 40 meters or so until I was passed all the rocks, (they were gargantuan!) I will go back there and tackle them properly when the red mist isnt in my eyes. Back on the bike and downwardsa again, i wasnt' going fast I knew that, someone was on my back wheel, I shouted that I'd try to pull over somewhere, he patiently waited whilst I picked my way down the snaking berms. Once more I yelled "sorry! i'm shit!" He said not to worry to carry on, as I was in a good position on the results and he wasnt going to come that high.

Down the last bit of descent and put the hammer down through the finish line to music and  Matt Carr comparring, nearly getting catapulted out of the saddle over a hump on the road and getting yelled at to slow down.

I was high as a kite! The most exhilierating downhill descent I've ever done. I could see why it was called the Climax trail!  My confidence was increasing and I was actually enjoying the adrenaline of gravity. I pushed on to the end totally buzzing, I didnt see anyone else for the last 15km, and when I got to the campsite and a microphone shoved in my face asking about my day it was all I could do not to swear about how fucking awesome it was! The longest ride yet but it flew by and my ride time was about 4hr30.

There was a brilliant buzz around the camp this afternoon, everyone was high on endorphins from the Climax trail. Everyone fancied their chances on the podium this evening (except me, I knew I played it safe, better to ride within my limits and get down safely was my thought- Paul Chuckle didnt play it so safe, cutting open his knee on the rock garden and ending up in hospital with stitches in his knee. )

With everyone in sucha great mood, hot showers in the leisure centre, tent, sunbathing, I did a beer run, dinner, presentation (4th again) beer and we carried on as the evening started.....

Several pints, a few rums, too many tabs (much to the disgust of my new friends) later we returned to the campsite after the pub would serve us no more, and sat around the Merida bus drinking wine until that was gone.... I finally stumbled into my sleeping bag around 1.30am...

No comments:

Post a Comment